I am kinda back

adiddle

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
2019 Panini Stars and Stripes Pete-Crow Armstrong
Hi everyone. I have been away since Labor Day in case anyone missed me but most likely not.
Anyway I had to rush my 92 year old dad to the hospital on Labor Day as he was not doing well.
In the ER they said he has a very bad case of pneumonia and his kidneys are not doing well.
After 10 hours he got a room and we went from there. Things got to the point last week that they wanted to put in a chest tube for nourishment as he was not eating because he had a swallowing but that was against his directive. His Dr wisely said lets try thickening juices and purees and it seem to work. They got rid of the pneumonia and his kidneys came back we just had to keep hand feeding him. As of yesterday he had all IV's removed and he was just on O2 and he was moved to rehab . Only bad thing is I cannot see him there for 2 weeks because of COVID they have to clear him first. He could be there for at least 20 days.
Since I am kind of back to normal for 2 weeks thought I would try to play catch up while he is in rehab. Good thing I have not received any TTM returns during that time so lets see what happens now.
Long term with my dad is he most likely will not be able to be on his own and we are preparing our spare room for him.
I would guess our life will take another turn at that time and my hobbies will take a hit but it is for a good cause.
Well that is it for now thanks for reading and good luck to everyone.

Alan

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Hi everyone. I have been away since Labor Day in case anyone missed me but most likely not.
Anyway I had to rush my 92 year old dad to the hospital on Labor Day as he was not doing well.
In the ER they said he has a very bad case of pneumonia and his kidneys are not doing well.
After 10 hours he got a room and we went from there. Things got to the point last week that they wanted to put in a chest tube for nourishment as he was not eating because he had a swallowing but that was against his directive. His Dr wisely said lets try thickening juices and purees and it seem to work. They got rid of the pneumonia and his kidneys came back we just had to keep hand feeding him. As of yesterday he had all IV's removed and he was just on O2 and he was moved to rehab . Only bad thing is I cannot see him there for 2 weeks because of COVID they have to clear him first. He could be there for at least 20 days.
Since I am kind of back to normal for 2 weeks thought I would try to play catch up while he is in rehab. Good thing I have not received any TTM returns during that time so lets see what happens now.
Long term with my dad is he most likely will not be able to be on his own and we are preparing our spare room for him.
I would guess our life will take another turn at that time and my hobbies will take a hit but it is for a good cause.
Well that is it for now thanks for reading and good luck to everyone.

Alan
Damn Alan, I'm sorry to hear that. The hospital in general is an awful place to be any time. I was in the ICU for about a week last year with a very bad infection that required surgery. I was on all kind of drugs and the whole thing was a blur. I can tell you in my experience that having friends and family check on you while you're there is a must because as a patient you're really at the mercy of the nurses and doctors and who they are as people. Some are kind as can be and others are really indifferent. Your father must be proud and grateful to have a son that would be ready to step up like that.

adiddle

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Well I have been waiting for today to update
After 38 days in the hospital and at one point his Dr. did not think he was going to make it and when he came around a bit he mentioned hospice but as of now my dad is in my home and doing fairly well. He is on oxygen 24/7 a nebulizer every 6 hours and I have to crush his 10 prescriptions and give it to him with applesauce.
He can only eat pureed food and thicken water. He has to do that and not asperate his food into his lungs or he will be right back with pneumonia.
I can say after only 8 hours of dad being here it will be a real challenge with everything but it does come with the territory as an only child.
I have home to give him his time what ever is left at home and not in a hospital. Maybe just maybe we can get another year and go from there.
If anything changes I will let you know.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Chris

Admin
Staff member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Well I have been waiting for today to update
After 38 days in the hospital and at one point his Dr. did not think he was going to make it and when he came around a bit he mentioned hospice but as of now my dad is in my home and doing fairly well. He is on oxygen 24/7 a nebulizer every 6 hours and I have to crush his 10 prescriptions and give it to him with applesauce.
He can only eat pureed food and thicken water. He has to do that and not asperate his food into his lungs or he will be right back with pneumonia.
I can say after only 8 hours of dad being here it will be a real challenge with everything but it does come with the territory as an only child.
I have home to give him his time what ever is left at home and not in a hospital. Maybe just maybe we can get another year and go from there.
If anything changes I will let you know.

Thanks for reading
Sounds like the rehab went well, that's great news.

adiddle

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Graph Cash
Well just when things start to get better the man upstairs throws in a double curve this past week
First on Monday past after only being in my home for 5 days dad was transported back to the hospital. He was in the ER for another 10 hours before going to a respiratory unit. This time he had the asperated pneumonia and multiple blood clots in both legs. He is being treated for both and will be sent to rehab as soon as possible.
Now the second whammy was last night my wife who has high blood pressure started to get heart palpitations. After an hour of no relief and her pulse rate hit a high of 144 I took her to the same ER. They took care of everything and after another 12 hours she was released. They said she may have Atrial fibrillation and needs to see a cardiologist..
I am so tired of hospitals as since Labor Day it seems like someone has been in care and I hate being there.
I hope he starts to take it easy on us especially with the holidays almost upon us.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.